Nadru ‘Ke’ Kabab
In Makhani gravy
If you happen to know any person of Kashmiri Origin, then you probably have not only heard but relished this Delicacy before. This dish is mostly served as dry kebabs with chutney. I have tasted the Dry Kebabs on a formal occasion at a friend’s place and became a fan since then. In North India, you may find these kebabs with the name of Bhein Kofta or Lotus stem kofta Curry. It’s prepared in a usual onion tomato gravy and the koftas/fried dumplings are made with boiled and mashed lotus stems mixed with gram flour and onion and condiments and fried like small pakoras and then dipped and served in a thin gravy. The flavors are different but you’ll relish each one with its own typical texture.
I make this Makhani gravy for many of my dishes. It’s amazing but you just have to change the company and it becomes a new dish altogether. I use this gravy for butter chicken, shahi paneer and malai kofta etc.
When I was making these koftas today, I thought of making them with my hot favorite Makhani gravy. The dish came out lovely as I had thought.
Try this dish and you’ll not miss going to a restaurant, for you will create and replicate the exact flavor in your own kitchen.
- ( My Cup size: 1 cup = 200 ml)
- 1 Lotus Nadru / Stems/ Bhein: Big peeled, washed and boiled.
- 1 Onion (Small) : finely chopped
- 2 Green Chili : finely chopped
- 1 Potato Boiled : Big
- to taste Salt
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder: .
- 1 tsp Garam Masala : .
- xbd tsp Chili Powder Red : . (optional) or to taste
- 2 pinches Ajwain Seeds / Carom : (crushed btw palms)
- 1 tsp Ginger Minced/Grated : .
- 1 tsp Garlic Minced /Paste: .
- 2 tbsps Gram Flour Sattu / Roasted : .
- 1 tsp Saunf Fennel Seeds / Powder: .
- xbd lemon Juice of (medium sized)
- 1 cup Bread crumbs: (for coating)
For Makhani Gravy:
- Water for consistency
- Tomato Ketchup: 3 tbsp.
- Tomato Puree: 2-3 tbsp.
- Milk (optional):2 tbsp. (for gravy thickness)
- Pre-preps for Makhani Gravy: Before you start making your kababs, just do the following. Ina pressure cooker, add tomatoes slit into 4.Ginger garlic, onion slit into 4,capsicum slit into 2 and deseeded ,cashew and 1/4th cup water(to avoid burning. Pressure cook this till one whistle on high flame and the simmer and cook further till two more whistles. Cool this mixture and grind into a fine paste. Sieve it and keep aside.
- How to Make Nadru /Lotus Stem Kebabs: Grate the boiled lotus stems. Grate the boiled potatoes. In a bowl mix these two along with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Frying the Kebabs: Now take a tbsp. full of this mix and roll between your hands to make a kabab.Apply a little oil if sticky, but do not add any more flour. Lotus stems and potatoes have a sticky texture so itu2019s fine. Coat with breads crumbs. Make all the kebabs like this and keep them in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Heat Oil in a wok and start frying after 5 minutes. Fry on medium high flame otherwise theyu2019ll soak oil. Keep these aside till you make the gravy.
- For preparing the Gravy: Heat 2 tbsp. of Desi Ghee /Clarified Butter in a pan. Add the tomato puree, salt and chicken masala. Sautxe9 this on simmer till it leaves ghee on the sides of the pan. Add the Makhani mixture which we had pressure cooked and kept aside. Add tomato ketchup and cook until the Ghee separates.
- For Tempering: Heat Ghee in a pan. One its warm, add degi mirch powder. Shut the flame and keep aside.
- Assembling to Serve: In a serving bowl, place the kababs.Now, pour over the prepared gravy. Now, garnish with the red chili tempering and coriander leaves. Serve Hot.
Leave a Reply