Suran Ke Kabab | Jhimikand Kebab | Yam Kebab are healthy, high-fiber snack recipes. Served as kebabs with chutney or with a tortilla as Kebab roll. A step-by-step recipe with pictures.
- What is Suran / Yam / Jhimikand Kebab?
- Nutrition Value for Yam.
- How to make Yam Kebabs?
- Pro-tips for perfect Kebabs?
- Popular Snacks on the Blog?
What is Suran | Jhimikand |Yam Kebab ?
Suran or Yam also know as elephants foot is a tuber crop rich in potassium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, phosphorous and calcium, that help in improving concentration and memory. It is good for improving immunity in the body. It is a good anti-inflammatory agent as well as a detoxifier. Suran | Yam kebabs are a vegetarian snack made with steamed or boiled Yam mixed with boiled potatoes and spices. It’s a vegetarian’s delight. You can make it more colorful is you like by adding different veggies like cabbage, broccoli, carrots, or Zucchini to it. Some people like to add boiled chana dal too to enhance the flavors. Its flavors match that of a Meat /Mutton Kebab.
Nutritional Value of Yam Kebabs
Suran is a rich source of Vit A, Vit B1, Vit B6 and Vit C. It also contains Folic acid in a good quality. Regarded as a rich source of energy, every 100 grams of yam contains 118 calories. It also contains a small amount of beta-carotene.According to doctors, it contains allantoin, which is helpful in healing skin ailments.
The Vit A found in Yam is a deterrent for Lung Cancer. The dietary fibre present in yam helps prevent colon cancer.
Also known for its anti-aging benefits. Good for your hair, rich in anti-oxidants, and aids digestion.
Easy Homemade Tortilla
Easy home-made tortillas made fresh with whole-wheat flour are a perfect combination with these delicious Yam Kebabs. Smeared with delicious sauces :coriander mint chutney, tomato ketchup, mustard sauce and mayonnaise. Filled with onion and tomato slices. A perfect Lunch or Dinner Option.
How to make perfect Yam Kebabs?
Follow a simple 3 step process.
- Steam the Yam. Jhimikand- This takes around 10-12 minutes. While the yam is steaming, ready the other ingredients. This saves time. Once the yam is steamed (check by inserting a knife) grate it.
- Make the mixture. In a bowl mix all the ingredients. Make desired shape Kebabs.
- Frying: Shallow fry the Kebabs in cooking oil on medium-high heat.
Pro-Tips for perfect Kebabs
- Instead of Boiling, steam the Kebabs. This takes almost the same time, but the yam has lesser moisture and hence the the Kebabs come out crispy and have a better flavor. Also they cook faster.
- Add Rice flour or roasted Gram Flour / Besan for better texture. They help in binding and make the Kebabs crispy.
- If you like spicy, add green chili paste along in the mixture.