KIDS SPECIAL TODAY-Tiffin Ideas
Do you also face THE toughest question in your mind everyday!!
What to send for TIFFIN today…
Well like many ,my 6 yr old too has very defined tastes now and after exploring various egg options,he having them n now rejecting…..”mama please no egg thing now please!!..n no porridge n no poha…n no …bla bla bla”….huhhh..
OK…The struggle begins!!..Am sure lot of you would relate to this situation.
Now, with his changing moods about food..i will have to keep changing the tiffin options too…
So here i was with a new beginning of LUNCH BOX BLUES…but thankfully satisfied the monsters tummy….lol.
Hey boy…you have got your favourite Samosa…Idli..n butter jam bread…but a new kind-pinwheel butter jam roll.WHAT??REALLY??…WOW….
You must be thinking…so whats great about that. Now, as a mother when you cant convince them…Trick them.
So did i. The samosa had all healthy vegetables and a bit of potato for disguise as filling…and the Idli was a Corn -onion- carrot Rava idli…with hidden mix of almonds n walnut….Aha….health on the platter again…
He is happy that he had his favourites n mama elated to serve him healthy food yet again.so friends here is the Tiffin option no. 1.
*Potato Vegetable Samosa with the goodness of wholewheat.
*Corn -onion-carrot Rava Idli with the goodness of almonds and walnuts served with a yummy instant coconut chutney….yummy n healthy treat for you kids.
Butter Jam pinwheel rolls…to pamper…
- First Prepare the Filling: Heat oil. Add jeera ,ajwain.
- Add all the masalas and salt and now add potatoes and peas and all other vegetables.Cook till soft.Add roasted kaju.
- Keep aside to cool.
- Now In a bowl, take maida and wholewheat flour.Add salt and carom seeds and clarified butter or ghee.Rub I nicely with your hands and mix well.Now, add water one tsp at a time and knead it into a medium hard dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Now, the dough is ready.With a soft hand knead it a bit to mix well.Make lemon sized balls of equal proportion.
- Meanwhile keep oil for deep frying in a kadai/wok.Now, roll the balls into a thick roti.Cut them from the centre
- Take one piece at once and apply water on all sides.Keep filling in the centre and fold both corners meeting in the centre and stick them together.Press gently with your hands to stick together.Now slide them into the kadai.
- Now, the secret of a crispy samosa lies within the right frying technique.As soon as you slide the Samosas into the oil reduce the flame to low and let them cook.That means heating the oil on high and when you slide the samosa in simmer and cook.
- This will ensure that there are no boils on the surface and it gets cook deep within.
- Serve hot with any chutney.
Carrot-Corns-Onion Rava Masala Idli Recipe: With the good ness of Corns, Carrot, Almonds and Walnuts
.Served with delicious INSTANT COCONUT CHUTNEY…
- Take 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add rava, ground nuts. Roast till it leaves aroma and is golden in color.
- Take this out in a bowl and let it cool. Meanwhile take 2 tbsp oil again in the panAdd chopped onions, carrot and corns.Cook for 5 minutes and add 1 tbsp of water and cover. Cook on simmer for about 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- Add this mix to the roasted rava.
- Prepare tempering.Heat 1 tsp oil.Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.Let it splutter and add to the rava mix.
- Once the rava mix has cooled add dahi, salt, water for consistency.Now,mix well and leave this aside for 15 minutes.The Rava will soak enough water will appear thick.
- Finally, in a idli maker /pressure cooker without whistle heat water and bring to boil.Let it simmer.
- Now,in the Rava mix add ENO fruit salt and water as much needed for the right consistency .Mix and immediately pour in the idli moulds.Put one peanut each on every idli.
- Steam this for about 10 minutes and close.Let it cool a bit and then unmould with the help of a knife.For garnish Heat ghee in a pan,add chutney powder and switch off flame and Apply little over every idli.
Enjoy Your healthy Masala Rava Idlis with coconut Chutney.
Simplest to prepare and loved the most.
Jam of your choice
- Cut the sides of the bread.
- Now, roll the bread slices with a rolling pin.
- Roll them as thin as possible.
- Now apply butter (cold) on one layer and jam on anoher.
- Keep jam layer over buter layer not facing eachother.
- Now, start rolling and roll it into a cylindrical form.
- Cut them into small pieces and serve.