Homemade curd |Homemade Dahi| Rich and creamy Dahi at home| How to make rich and creamy and sweet curd / Dahi at home. A tried and tested method to make fresh, creamy, rich and sweet Dahi at home in no time. Once you start to make curd at home, am sure you will never buy it from the market again.
Make Homemade curd is a routine chore in an Indian household. Especially, during summers it’s a must to have dahi/curd with our lunch or breakfast. Be it plain yogurt, raita of some kind, aloo chaat raita or just plain Greek yogurt for marinades and salads. You need this recipe to make thick curd, which can be used for many recipes.
Although it’s simple to make Homemade Curd/ Homemade Dahi, but it could be tricky to make it right every time .This is a no fail recipe and has never disappointed me. There are still certain tips that would help you to make it right every time.
- Please use good quality full cream milk.
- Freshly boiled milk is best for making homemade creamy Dahi/curd.
- The milk should not be boiling hot when you add the starter, as l will either spoil the milk or you’ll have sour dahi or your dahi will become like a jelly.
- The temperature of the milk is of prime importance and can really make a difference in the curd texture.
- Use a fresh starter or the starter of a thick and creamy dahi/curd. Powder milk curd starter usually gives a jelly like texture.
- Always keep the dahi/curd in a warm place covered with a cloth for making the perfect dahi and also in lesser time.
- The starter should be evenly dissolved and mixed with the milk to have a uniform texture.
- Do not use a very deep pan, instead use a flat bottom pan which is as deep as to fill almost 3/4th of the pan( for quantity)
- If you live in a warm place, then the temperature of the milk should be just lukewarm.But for colder placed litter hotter than lukewarm will allow the starter to work better and a better curd texture. Summers the milk needs to be lukewarm, winters a little more than lukewarm( dip your finger and test, if you can dip comfortably, then it’s just right)
Taking care of these minor points while preparing dahi, will ensure the perfect results and a rich and creamy dahi/curd.