Lemon pickle | Sweet ‘n’ Sour Lemon Pickle | Khatta Meetha Nimbu Ka Achaar ,is a home made pickle recipe make with fresh lemons mixed with some sugar and spiced and seeds with healing properties.This is a heirloom recipe. A recipe going on from generations in our family. This simple recipe of Homemade sweet ‘n’ sour lemon pickle can be prepared in no time. But it will take a few weeks and months to mature and ready for consumption.
Homemade Pickles are ancient. A legacy, family’s inherit from generation after generations.
You can make this easy homemade sweet ‘n’sour lemon pickle recipe and store in for years .Its takes time to mature but stays longer than many other pickles. You can make this this summer and enjoy it till the next summers.I always make a 5 kg quantity and store in as it does’nt spoil at all. I have given the measurements for 1 kg to make it easy for all.You may multiply or reduce the amounts if wish to make more or less.
Also please alter the quantity of red chili powder as per your taste preference.If you wish it to be hotter you may add more. Salt again is personal, so if you keep a check on your salt intake then a moderate amount or – / + will do.
Gobi ,Gajar shalgam ka achaar/ Turnip/cauliflower and carrot pickle is another favorite pickle recipe . My mother’s recipe and we can’t just do without having these on the table. To get that recipe please click on the picture below:
Enjoy this pickle with some Chana Dal Khichdi ( click the pic for recipe) .
- 20 gms Black Salt /kala Namak
- 15 gms salt adjust to taste
- 4-5 tbsp red chilli powder /degi mirch you may adjust to taste
- 3-4 tbsp garam masala
- 4-5 tbsp carom seeds / Ajwain
- Soak the lemons in water over night.
- In the morning, wipe them clean and dry with a piece of cloth and put them covered with a muslin cloth under the sun for 2 hours. We do this to dry the lemons as any moisture left may spoil the pickle.
- Now, cut the lemons into half or four as per your taste.
- Ina airtight glass container/ Ceremic Barni, fill the cut lemons and pour the rest of the ingredients one by one.
- Close the lid and shake the container well to mix the ingredients and to smear the lemons well with the masala mix.
- Keep this in the sun until soft and ready to eat. This may take anywhere between 3 weeks to 1 year.
Please check the salt and red chili powder before finish and adjust as per your preference.
Keep this jar closed in the sun for about 2-3 weeks minimum (peak summers). This may take longer as the pickle is cooked with the sun heat and time taken depends on the thickness of the lemons. The cooking will happen with the sugar syrup (once sugar melts) and the juice lemons will leave with the salt. Keep it in the sun till the lemon skin is soft.
The Black texture comes in a year (approximately).
The pickle has healing properties and is very good in many stomach ailments. A very good digestive. Have this with the
Monisha Makhija says
I have left of masala powder from this mix. Can I use it pressure cook the lemons to get an instant pickle. Have already pickled 4 kgs. But I think I made more than the amount required Masala
Recipes & You says
Hi Monisha, the masala here mentioned is the right amount. Pickles take extra masala. You may add the rest on top of your bottle. It’s apt and sufficient for the mentioned quantity. As for your instant pickle query, you may try, but it’ll not give you the same flavour.