Ever since I remember eating at a south Indian joint here in Delhi, I remember my first order being the Dahi Vadai.Different in look and texture from our Punjabi Dahi bhalla,but amazingly delicious. Little donut like shaped Vadas dipped in a sweet Dahi and garnished with Raita boondi, ginger juliennes’ and condiments.
I just love the flavor!
The Punjabi Dahi Bhalla is a regular feature at our place. I make them with three pulses. They come out super soft and just melt in the mouth with every bite. You may have a look at the recipe hereLink: Dahi Bhalla.
This although similar in preparation has its own typical differences.Firstly,it’s just made with one Dal/Pulse i.e. Urad dal.And then since we serve it simply with sweet curd but we add a little contrast to the flavors of the Vadai by a little chilli.So when you eat it, you have the wonderful sweet chili taste.
Each one has its own beauty. But yes, when the menu is south Indian, only Thayir Vada/ Dahi creates the magic. This recipe would make about 8-9 vadas. Preperation time : 2 hours coaking + 10 minutes beating . Cook time 20 minutes.
Total time: 2 hours 20 mins
A south indian delicacy.A north indian Delight. A simple and easy preperation.
- 750 ml curd Thick :
- xbd cup Milk :
- 1/4 cup Cream : th
- 1 tbsp Sugar : . powdered
- to taste Salt
- 2 tbsp coconut . desiccated (optional)
- chili powder Red to sprinkle
- Ginger Juliennes
- Coriander leaves (optional)
- Tempering Of vadas:
- 1/4 tsp seeds / mustard seeds Rai mustard : th .
- 1 tsp Oil to temper .
- 6 - 7 Kadi Patta: leaves cut with your hands.
- How to make batter for Vadas: Soak the Urad dal for 2 hours. Then grind them with very little water and green chilies and ginger .Grind coarse and thick. Beat this batter with an electric beater for 10 minutes to make it light and fluffy. Here if you have more time at hand them you may leave this batter on the shelf covered for about an hour. And then beat again before frying. If not you immediately start frying them (post tempering). Let this batter rest till you prepare the dahi/curd for the Dahi Vadas.
- How to make the Dahi/Curd: Take thick curd in a bowl. Add sugar, coconut (optional) and cream and beat /mix with a hand Wisk. Remove all lumps .Now, add salt about xbd tsp. Add milk to match required consistency.
- Tempering the Vadas Batter: Heat oil. Add rai seeds .Let them splutter. Add Kadi Patta and add this straight to the vadas batter. Mix gently.
- Frying the Vadas: Now, start making vads.Heat oil in a wok/kadai. Take a scoop of batter in your hand, make a hole with your thumb to make a donut like shape .At a medium high flame, oil should not be cold but not piping hot. Slip in the vadas in the oil carefully and fry them on both sides. Fry till golden in color and take them out.
- Assembling the Vadas: Soak the vadas in hot water for 5 minutes. This time will increase if you have refrigerated the vadas before assembling. Soak them till they soak a bit water n get soft. Press them between your palms to drain the water and place them in the serving dish.
- Pour the curd over the Vadas and garnish with red chili powder and ginger juliens.Refrigerate this for 15- 20 minutes and serve.
Leave a Reply