Khatta -Meetha Kaddu/ Sweet & Sour pumpkin is easy to make recipe and mostly prepared during fasting season in north India. This is a simple recipe that is also very healthy to eat.
Navratras are approaching and so the preparations are in full swing to celebrate the Festivities and relish the food to their best. Come October and the festivities begin. I just love this month. It’s full of excitement, action, celebrations, happiness, birthdays, and best of all feasting!!. Food preps go hand in hand with all other paraphernalia. And Food preparations are my favorite part. I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law. I love this dish and hope you all too. Do try this khatta meetha kaddu. During, Fasting days we make it only with jeera and tomatoes. It gets its “khatta/sour” flavor from the tomatoes and meetha from sugar. Otherwise, on a regular day, I add fenugreek seeds, garlic, and onion too. But the satvik version is equally tasty.
- 250 gms yellow pumpkin skinned
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed jeera /
- 1 tsp chopped ginger / Adrak
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- to taste salt (sendha namak/rock salt)
- 2 Chilies green chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli black pepper powder( optional) / ( as preferred)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbspn ghee butter Desi / clarified
- Wash the pumkin/Kaddu well. Do not remove the skin.
- Cut the pumpkin into cubes. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds/jeera and ginger.Let it cook till golden .This will just take a few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes , sendha namak ,chilli powder,green chillies.Cook till soft and ghee sepeartes.
- Now,add the chopped/cubed pumpkin and saute well.Cover the lid and pressure cook till 1 whistle on high flame.Now, simmer the flame and cook till one more whistle.Switch off the flame.
- Let the pressure release.Now,open the lid and switch on the flame again.Cook on medium flame till all the water evaporates.
- Once its all dry,add the sugar and saute for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame .Serve hot and garnish with coriander leaves and slit green chili.
Leave a Reply