Amritsar’s Stuffed Kulcha’s don’t need any introduction or special mention to make one feel desirable to have them.They are one of the most popular flat bread stuffed with potato and onion filling and mostly liked and relished in the north of India.
Amritsar,the foodies paradise.
Amritsari kulcha as the name itself suggests , was born and still is the most loved dishes over there.There are ,many eating joints which one can explore there but the best i like are those road side joints ,many of which go without name.There are many recipes which one can find floating.But this recipe is a bit different from the usual traditional recipe with some variations with the portions.
And like any other recipe of mine they are always tried and tested in my kitchen first and then put to paper.Traditionally the stuffed amritsari kulcha’s are served with chana’s or chole as they are called but we like to have them just like that with either curd or my favorite Punjabi panchranga pickle and salad and of course lots of butter.Now, this is one thing one cannot do without !!
These can be prepared in an Oven or Tandoor or Pan.I personally recommend a pan ,as it tastes much better.You can roast as much as you need and serve hot .It may not rise as much it does in an oven but the taste and softness is guaranteed.
Hope you enjoy the preparation.
- 2 cups All purpose Flour :
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour :
- 3 tsp Sugar :
- 1/2 tsp Salt :
- 1 tsp Baking Powder :
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda :
- 4 - 5 tbsp Curd :
- 2 tbsp Oil:
- 2 pinches Seeds Carom :
- 2 pinch Cumin Seeds :
- Milk : to knead( You can knead with lukewarm water as well but i prefer whole milk as it makes it softer and rich and perfect for serving kids as its healthier.)
- 4 - 5 Potatoes boiled and peeled:
- 2 Onion diced(small): small
- to taste salt (remember the dough too has a bit of ) :
- to taste chili powder Red :
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala :
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder:
- 1/2 tsp Amchoor Powder:
- 1 '' or 1 tsp Ginger minced:
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds :
- two pinches Seeds Carom : .
- 4 tbsp coriander leaves Fresh :
- 1/2 Green chillies : minced Method:
- Sieve the flours ,baking powder,baking soda,salt,sugar(Castor) together.
- Add oil and rub the flour well to let the oil get incorporated well.
- Add cumin seeds,carom seeds and mix.Now add curd and mix well.
- Take milk or water and add gradually to knead it into a dough.Knead for 5-7 min to make the dough smooth.
- Cover and lid and keep it in a warm place for 2 -3 hours to let it rise well.
- Prepare filling: Heat ghee in pan.Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.Add minced ginger and cook for a second and add onions.
- Let the onions get translucent add the all the masala's and mix well.
- Mash the potatoes with and hand in a bowl.Add the potatoes to the pan and cook on medium flame for 5-7 minutes or till the potatoes a little mushy and the masala is nicely mixed.
- Switch off the flame and add the coriander leaves and keep aside to cool.
- Once the dough has risen well, divide the dough into small equal portions to make kulcha's.
- Make equal size balls of the potato mix as well,as its easy to stuff and you get an even filling for all kulcha's.
- Take one dough ball flatten it a bit with your fingers and place the potato filling in the centre. Close and seal the dough with your hands and flatten again with your fingers.Do not use a rolling pin as it make break the kulcha as the dough is very soft.
- Heat a pan or tava and cook on both side.Alternatively,if you like cook in a preheated oven @250 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes or till done.
- Serve hot with butter on top .Relish with Curd or Pickle and salad.
Leave a Reply