Sweet & Sour Sauce…….
Having its origin in the Cantonese cuisine ,its the most sought after sauces of all.
Loved all over Asia and the west this sauce has many versions all over the globe.I have tried many recipes over the years and came to this one as it gave me the best results in the least of efforts.With two kids and a handful of daily chores i keep looking out for recipes which are quick and give me the best results.This method was developed when one day i was ordered for a Chinese treat by my family and i had a very tight schedule wherein i just had to squeeze in the dinner preparations after of course a full day marathon with the kids. This recipe has a lot of American influence and that’s why probably its like a crash course in Chinese Cuisine.Since i am always short of time i don’t and have not done the detailed chopping and cutting as Chinese preparation would otherwise require.
So if you wish to just add to its beauty do follow the cutting and chopping methods of a fancy Chinese dish.
Here’s what you need for this –
- 7 - 8 Baby corn : slit and cut
- 2 Capsicum : medium sized
- 250 gm Cottage Cheese / Paneer Tofu Fresh :
- 250 gm Mushrooms : / 9-10 pcs.
- 2 Spring Onions : stems
- 6 - 7 cloves Garlic (paste/grated):
- 1 Carrot (slit and cut diagonally) :
- 1 Broccoli : flower
- to fry Sesame Oil
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce Dark :
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar :
- 2 tbsp Vinegar :
- 1 tsp Sesame oil :
- 3 tbsp Chilli Sauce : ( may vary as per taste)
- 3 tbsp Tomato Ketchup :
- to taste Salt ( soy too has a bit of salt.Add salt accordingly) :
- 2 cups Water :
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper : / to taste
- 2 tsp Corn starch :
- Cut all the vegetables and saute in sesame oil separately one after another on high flame and keep aside.This would not take longer than 10 min.
- Finely chop the spring onions.
- Keep the white and greens separate.
- For the sauce: in a sauce pan mix all the ingredients except black pepper and corn starch in water and mix well.
- Put on the flame and boil this for 5-7 minutes on medium flame or till it appears a bit dark.
- Now to put it together, In a pan heat oil and add garlic paste and the white part of spring onion and saute.Add the prepared sauce and bring to boil.
- Add the corn starch and black pepper and cook till required thickness achieved
- Add all the vegetables and mix well. Put it off flame and garnish with the spring onion greens and serve hot with Hakka noodles or fried rice.
Leave a Reply