Easy Lentil Crepes | Moong Dal Cheela | Vegan and gluten free recipe with indo-italian filling.How to make easy lentil crepes or moong dal cheela. Make this high protein crepes or cheela in no time and this make a perfect breakfast.
This recipe of Easy crepes or Moong dal cheela also popularly known as Lentil Dosa is indeed healthy and wholesome. I also make it with Split Moong Dal/ Split green Lentil. Both taste equally amazing.Only the split moong lentil dosa is a bit high in fibre as it still has the the skin on.I will soon post the recipe of split moong dal dosa.
Traditionally, its popular with a paneer or cottage cheese filling or eaten plain with chutney. You can relish this protein rich moong dal cheela with either Tamarind Chutney , Green Coriander Chutney , Tomato Ketchup, Alsi Ki chutney, Instant coconut chutney, Tomato Onion chutney/Dosa chutney or Sweet chilli sauce. Click on the the above texts to see the recipes.
If you like experimenting and love trying new flavors. Then try this new indo-italian filling. With corns, red,yellow and green capsicum, mushrooms, cheese, mayonnaise ,paneer /cottage cheese, onion, tomatoes coriander leaves . Try a tad bit of Pizza sauce to make it a bit more tangy and chilli.
Just soak the moong dal/ yellow lentil and masoor dal in the night. And grind it to a fine paste in the mixer with a few other ingredients.
|12 pcs||3-4 hours|
- 250 gms Yellow Moong Dal /Yellow lentil Roughly 2 1/2 cups
- 150 gms Masoor dal / Red Lentil Roughly 1 cup
- 2 tbsp ginger paste or 2" ginger
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp coriander powder/ Dhania Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder optional
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup boiled corn kernels
- 1/4 cup yellow capsicum
- 1/4 cup green capsicum
- 1/4 cup red capsicum
- 1/4 cup Grated or crumbled cottage cheese/Paneer
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 tsp italian or oregano seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Mint powder
- 2-3 tbsp grated cheese Mozzerella
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp black pepper powder or as per taste
- Wash and soak the lentils together in a bowl overnight in the refrigerator or for min 3 hours. Take enough water to soak.
- In the morning, add the dal/lentils in the mixer attachment and add ginger and the rest of the ingredients for the dosa and grind to a fine paste. Do not add the water (soaked ) in the mixer. the dal has soaked enough water needed for consistency.You may through the water.Add salt, dhania powder, red chilli powder, haldi while grinding.
- For filling: Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- How to cook: Pour a ladle full of the batter and roll over the ladle moving in clockwise direction .Make it just like dosa.
- Cook on both sides.
- Then spread a good portion of the filling on top and fold the cheela . Serve with your choice of chutney or sauce.
Kristen King says
I have never tried making crepes before even though I love them so much. Love the veggies in this one!
I’ve never had lentil crepes before but I’m very intrigued! It sounds like a simple and healthy way to start the day! The filling sounds like the best part too with all those spices.
Dominique | Perchance to Cook says
What a delicious vegan and GF crepe alternative!! I’ve never made them this way but I want to try, they look and sound so yummy!!
Thanks dominique. Glad you liked.
Chef Markus says
I think it’s amazing how much variety and creativity there is in respect to simple food items when you look at different cuisines and cultures. Never would have thought to make crepes with lentils!
Sri Mallya says
Healthy and delicious. Love the fusion. I will soon try this for breakfast!
This was very clever. I don’t really are for crepes but I would try this recipe.
Jessica (Swanky Recipes) says
I really got into eating lentil meals when my Turkish friend visited me a few years back. I always stock up with them during winter and we’ll be adding this to the meal rotation soon. I’ve never heard of lentil crepes but this sounds wonderful!
I love these lentil crepes! I had something very similar at a friends house with curried lamb. I can’t wait to try them out!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Yum, this looks delicious! So interesting that these crepes are made with lentils! Can’t wait to try this!!
This looks amazing! Super easy to make and very creative .. perfectly seasoned and love the use of lentils!
Never tried lentil crepes before but i now i am excited to! What a vibrant color!
I never think of making savory crepes and these sound SO delicious! Lentils are one of our favorite beans to cook with. Loving all of your flavor combinations in this dish! Cannot wait to try them.