South Indian Food is incomplete without chutneys /sauces.Be it Dosa ,Idli or any other dish,a chutney just makes it complete. South Indian cuisine has always been in my ‘A’ list ,whenever we go eating out or a weekend treat at home.A home made Dosa batter or Idli batter and the lovely coconut chutney and red tomato onion chutney is always on the table.I wonder why i didn’t post this recipe before .
Am a die hard fan of this sauce/chutney and may miss cooking this one at home if am being a little lazy,but do not miss this at any cost if am eating out in a restaurant.
This is another quick to make recipe and it comes together in just about 15 minutes. And if you are cooking south Indian cuisine today then you must make the Instant Coconut Chutney as well.You can find the recipe here: Instant Coconut Chutney.
So make your South Indian meals rock and leave you feeling like you are sitting in your favorite restaurant and enjoying your lunch or supper.Go ahead here’s the recipe.
- 2 onions
- 2 tomato medium size
- 1 tbsp white urad daal
- 1 tspn peanut oil / vegetable oil to cook
- 2 redchili Dry -deseed
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp Methi fenugreek seeds dana /
- to taste salt
- water for consistency.
- Heat Oil in pan. Add methi daana, urad daal and let it splutter.Do this on medium low flame and we do not want our daal to turn black.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till golden brown.Add the tomatoes and red chillies and cook till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Switch off the flame and let this mixture cool down.
- Once its cool down, grind this mixture along with tamarind paste till very fine.First add 1/2 tsp tamarind paste and check for sourness and then add the rest if needed.Add water gradually till the right consistency achieved.
Leave a Reply