Lotus Stem Potato curry| Kamal kakdi Aloo Sabzi popularly known as Aloo bhein Sabzi is a delicious gravy recipe made in north India.Lotus stem and Potato curry is rich and delicious North Indian recipe made from Lotus stems and potato in gravy.A simple reipe but made differently to bring out the best flavors.
This Kamal kakdi sabzi or Lotus stem potato curry is a heirloom recipe. It has many names and the Bhein aloo curry is a staple in our house. It also finds some traces in sindhi cuisine. We prepare this at least once in a week. The rich vibrant red colored gravy signifies the rich preparation and true authentic Punjabi flavors.
Lotus stems are a a very healthy ingredient. The benefits can be attributed to its unique mix of vitamins, minerals, including potassium, phosphorous, copper, iron, and manganese etc.
How to clean Lotus stems:
- I mostly buy those stems which are closed from both ends. Otherwise its painful to clean them. Wash them under running water . If your ends were open while buying the stems,then you need to wash them twice.
- Shave their skin with a peeler. Then slice them thick enough to hold shape while cooking. Wash them again to ensure they are completely clean from inside too. Soak the stems or bhein / kamal kakdi in water until ready to be cooked.
For this recipe i fry both the lotus stems as well as potatoes. Alternatively you may pan sear them on high flame with little oil until brown. If you chose the later, then you may have to cook them till two whistles.
A few other popular lunch recipes are Aloo choliya , Aloo wadiyan , Potato curry , Baingan Bharta ,Methi aloo, Rajma Masala.
|6 ppl||10 minutes|
Kamal Kaldi or Lotus stem curry with potatoes is a popular north indian dish which also finds traces in sindhi cuisine.
- 2 medium onions pureed in mixer
- 2 inch ginger grated
- 7 big Tomatoes pureed and sieved
- 2-3 pcs long/cloves
- 1 pcs black cardamom
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick optional
- 2 pcs Green Cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder /degi mirch as per taste
- 1 pcs green chilli slit
- Wash , peel and slice the lotus stems. Cut the potatoes in cubes or any other desired shape.
- Heat oil in a griddle.Fry the potatoes and lotus stems separately till golden brown in colour. Keep them aside.
- How to cook the gravy: In a pressure cooker, heat some mustard oil and add the pureed onions and grated ginger.
- Cook them till brown . Now add some water(4 tbsp) and the spices. Salt, red chili powder, coriander powder , turmeric powder.Cook till oil separates.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook until oil separates again.
- Now, add the fried potatoes and lotus stems and cook on simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add some water for required consistency and close the lid. Cook upto two whistles. Close the flame and let it sit til steam releases.
- Garnish with some garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Remember the onions should be nicely brown or the curry colour and flavor will change. It should be dark brown but not burnt.
- Always simmer the onions after adding salt and spices.Do not ruch this step to get best flavors. Also ensure its not burnt.Add a bit of water for best results.
- Use best quality spices to achieve best results.
Leave a Reply