No Onion- No Garlic Recipe
A no onion –no garlic recipe, vrat ke aloo is a simple curry made with boiled potatoes dipped and cooked in a tomato curry. No use of onion & garlic makes this curry very soft on your digestive system and is prepared mainly during the fasting periods. Its the same curry we make with our poori/fried wheat pastries. This recipe can go well with your poori ,kachori and all other occassions like pooja bhog etc. In India, all pooja / prayer meetings are held with a following lunch or dinner serving where no use of onion or garlic is common.This dish is a must on most occassions.
During fasting,since some people avoid having red chilli powder,you may enhance the taste of this curry by adding chopped green chillies. This curry is a staple in hour house for all eight days of fasting. We serve this with samak rice and kuttu/singhade i.e buckwheat or water chestnut flour pooris/dosa/kachori. It goes very well with the khatta meetha kaddu ki sabzi/ sweet & sour pumpkin vegetable,you ay find a recipe on my blog for the same.Here’s hw you can make this simple potato curry.
- 2 potatoes boiled mashed
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- to taste rock salt / sendha namak
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powdered (optional) As per preference.
- 2 tbsps ghee / oil to cook
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- coriander leaves to garnish
- water for consistency
- Mash the boiled potatoes corsely and keep them aside.Sprinkle a little salt and mix them gently.This way the salt will be soaked by the potatoes and when cooked in the curry they will not taste bland.
- Chop the tomatoes finely.Chop the ginger and green chillies.
- Heat oil/ghee in the pan.Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter. Now add the chopped ginger and green chillies. Saute them for few seconds and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the salt and red chili powder (optional) and turmeric powder. The red chilli powder and turmeric powder is optional.
- Cook covers till oil separates.
- Now, add the potatoes and mix well. Cover again and cook for 5 minutes. Add a little water if it sticks at the bottom. After 5 minutes add 1/2 cup water ( approx) to make curry and bring to one boil. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Thanks for this recipe it looks amazing! I love indian food but it seems so time consuming depending on the recipe. This one look quick
Recipes and you says
Glad you liked carissa.yes its quick and very rich in flavors. Thanks .