Vrat Ki kachori or Kuttu ki kachori/Buckwheat Pastry is a cottage cheese stuffed pastry which is shallow fried on medium heat .These are not made from wheat flour but from Buckwheat flour. In India during the fasting periods especially Navratri which falls around march and October, only fruits or ingredients made our of fruit are used to prepare food.We normally avoid eating any grains at all. Food is eaten only once in a day and only rock salt is consumed during fasting.So all the recipes are prepared using rock salt or sendha namak as called in India.
This year am trying this new recipe I tried and it came out yummy. I shallow fried it as during fasting one must avoid eating too much oil or fried stuff as it could lead to heartburn or bloating. Also, when eating buckwheat, one must include or club the meal with curd to keep the meal balanced. These flours are hot in nature and curd and sago with milk give a cooling effect to the body.
I always plan my fasting meals with one dry vegetable like Khatta Meetha Kaddu/Pumpkin and curd and Sago pudding to keep it balanced and keep my bowl stress free. This recipe is shallow fried and made on medium flame to make sure they cook till inside and remain crisp on the outside.
- 100 gms buckwheat flour Atta /Kuttu ka
- 2 - 3 green chillies chopped
- to taste rock salt /Sendha namak
- red chilli blackpepper powder / powder as preferred
- 1 potato small boiled mashed
- water to knead the dough
- 1 cup paneer cottage cheese /
- to taste rock salt / sendha namak
- to taste blackpepper powder
- 1 - 2 green chillies chopped
- coriander leaves (optional)
- For the Kachori/Pastry: In a bowl take the flour,salt,green chilies,mashed potatoes and mix well.Add black pepper powder or red chilli powder as per your preference.some people do not take red chilies during fasting.Please use as per your preference.Add little water to knead the dough and knead a soft dough.Keep covered for 5 minutes.Till then prepare the filling.
- To prepare the filling: mash the paneer. Add the rest of the ingredients.You may also add a few raisins to enhance the taste further.
- Making the Kachoris/ Pastry: Heat oil in a pan.Take a small ball of the dough between your palms. The dough will be soft. Press in the center and make an indent.Put the paneer stuffing in and softly bring the edges together till the center and close into a ball again.Now,press between your palms and flatten the kachori lightly.Take some dry buckwheat flour and lightly cover the kachori on all sides.Make all the kachoris like this. Shallow fry them in the pan on medium heat.
- Serve hot with coriander chutney/sauce or vrat ke aloo.
Leave us a comment and follow the blog for regular recipe updates.
Have a soulful fasting !
Leave a Reply