Matar Paneer or Cottage cheese and peas in tomato gravy is a delicious gravy dish that is simple to prepare and is a family recipe. Matar paneer is easy to prepare recipe. It is an everyday recipe. You can prepare it for lunch or for dinner both.
This recipe is a staple in most North Indian homes. There are various ways to prepare Matar Paneer. You may find many recipes around the globe but this recipe is the easiest to prepare. This Matar paneer recipe has a simple preparation but a spicy, creamy gravy. A popular north Indian daily meal.
Goes best with Masala pilaf / Kali Mirch Pilaf recipe See link Here: Black pepper rice/Pilaf -Kali Mirch
Coriander Chutney recipe: Coriander Chutney
This is my favorite recipe and also a staple in our house. This recipe is prepared in a rich spicy onion and tomato gravy. A simple preparation but the proportion of onion and tomato puree is critical to get the rich flavors of this gravy. Also, cooking the onions till they are nicely brown is also very important to get the perfect flavor.
- 1 big onion paste
- 2 big Tomatoes pureed / or 3 medium sized
- 1 cup Green peas frozen or fresh
- 200 grams cottage cheese / paneer
- 1 tsp cumin jeera
- 2 Green Cardamom broken roughly
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee/ Clarified Butter/Mustard oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder /degi mirch or to taste
- 2 tsp coriander powder/ Dhania Powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder optional
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pan
- Add cumin seeds, green cardamom, black cardamom.
- Let them splutter and then add onion paste.
- Cook till brown. This may take 10-15 minutes.
- Once the onion paste is brown, add the spices ( salt, coriander powder, red chili powder, cinnamon powder). Add a little water as soon as you add the spices to ensure the spices don't loose taste and aroma.
- Cook on simmer till oil separates.
- Now, add the pureed tomatoes. Cover and cook till oil separates again.
- Add peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now, add 1/2 cup of water. Remember, you can add more water later for consistency. But excess water will spoil the taste.
- Shut the lit and pressure cook till two whistles. Or Cover the lid of the pan and cook on simmer till peas a soft.
- Now, add the paneer and garam masala. Bring to one boil.
- Add coriander leaves and serve hot
Best served with Roti / Indian flatbread or masala rice. Goes well with mint chutney and salad to go with it.
Leave a Reply