Aloo raita is an Indian condiment served best with all Indian dishes. Especially, Veg Pilaf, Chicken Biryani. Spiced boiled potatoes garnished and flavored with sweet tamarind sauce and green coriander chutney along with some spices.
This is a popular north Indian yogurt dish served with most Rice, Vegetable, Dal, and chapati dishes. A popular yogurt dish served at Lunchtime and dinner too. Its compliments most north Indian dishes.
Ready in minutes. Most Indian households keep green coriander chutney and sweet tamarind chutney ready in the fridge at all times. You just need boiled potatoes, green chutney, tamarind chutney, and pudina leaves. I like to add some raita boondi too. But it’s optional.
How to make Aloo Raita more interesting
Just experiment with the garnish.
Garnish it with sev, or some namkeen (like Haldiram all-in-one), fresh pomegranate seeds, etc. to make it more flavorful. It will also add a little crunch to the raita.
This Aloo raita compliments all your Indian vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Like, Chicken Biryani, Veg Pulao/Pilaf. Perfectly fits the Indian Lunch menus.
Goes well with all Indian Dals and Vegetables- Dal Makhani, Langarwali Dal, Arhar Dal-chawal, Rajma Chawal, Matar Paneer, Amritsari Kulcha, Punjabi Chicken Curry, Chana Dal Khichdi, Pilaf Kali Mirch,Pindi Chole.
- 1 cup Yogurt /dahi beaten well
- 2 tsp fresh cream
- 1 big boiled potato seasoned with salt and red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dry pudina leaves
- 1 tsp Castor Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 pinch bhuna jeera roasted cumin powder
- 1-2 tbsp green coriander chutney recipe in post
- 1 tbsp cilantro / green coriander
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1-2 tbsp Sweet tamarind sauce recipe in the post
- salt to taste
- 2 pinch red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds fresh
- Mix curd and cream together. Wisk together well to make a creamy texture. Add water if required to make the right consistency. Aloo raita should be thick and creamy but not too thick.
- Add the seasoned potatoes ( cut the boiled potatoes into small cubes, season them with salt and red chili powder) to the yogurt/curd.
- Add pudina leaves and mix well.
- Serve in the bowl. Now, add some tamarind sauce and green chutney.
- Sprinkle some salt and red chili powder and bhuna jeera.
- Add the sev. If you wish to add some namkeen or raita boondi, then add some now.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve cold/chilled with your favorite pilaf or thali.
Leave a Reply