Moong dal Kachori- Baked. Moong dal kachori is a popular Indian snack made with yellow lentil filled in a crispy flour dumpling fried in oil. But this is a low-cal and low-fat version. While the original recipe calls for the kachoris to be fried, in this recipe I have Baked the kachoris. Making them low in calories.
Baking- does not take any compromise in the flavors of the kachoris. The kachoris come out to be super crispy and crack like the fried kachoris. But Baking helps to make it more healthy and low in fat.
How to make Baked-khasta kachoris / Things to remember
- Moin the flour nicely. It means add ghee to the flour and mix it properly to get each portion to incorporate the oil/ghee nicely before you start kneading.
- Make the masala filling with soaked moong dal and saute in ghee/oil. I have fried it in 2 tbsp ghee only to make it light and low fat. If you prefer you may add more ghee while frying and omit the water.
- Cost/grease the kachoris with ghee before baking to ensure even cooking and a nice light brown color.
The Kachoris go best with Green Coriander Chutney and Sweet Tamarind Chutney. Click for the recipe. I personally love the Sweet chili sauce.
These kachoris taste lovely with Aloo/ Potato gravy.
Some other Snacks you may like.
- Gujiya -Baked | How to make Baked Mawa gujiya with milk powder
- Moong Dal Cheela |Easy Lentil Crepes | Vegan and gluten recipe free with indo Italian filling
- Moong Dal/Green Gram Pakoras (Fritters)
- GREEN LENTIL BURGERS- Vegan |Gluten free | Step by step recipe
- Dahi bhalla recipe| How to make the softest dahi bhalla
- Jack and the Bean stock-healthy snack recipe
- Potato and Lentil Croquettes- Vegan
If you like the recipe please do leave a comment.
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Desi Ghee/ Clarified Butter Plus little extra for greasing
- 1.5 cup Yellow Moong Dal /Yellow lentil soaked for 1.5 hours, then ground coarse in mixer.
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder /degi mirch or as per taste
- 2 tbsp coriander powder/ Dhania Powder
- 1/2 tbsp fenugreek methi seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seed jeera
- 1/2 tbsp sauf /fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala five spice powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder / amchoor powder
- 1/2 tsp dhania seeds
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- 2-3 tbsp Besan / Gram flour
- In a deep pan, add flour, salt, and ghee. Mix well with both hands. The ghee should be well incorporated.
- Add a little warm water and start kneading. Just add a little at a time. We want to knead a firm but soft dough. Not too tight.
- Keep kneading till all the lumps are gone. Then transfer to a clean kitchen top and stretch and fold the dough to make it smooth. Once done, let it rest covered with a wet towel. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, begin the filling as per the steps given below. After 10 minutes, make small balls and rest again for 5 minutes. Now, before you start the filling, preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celcius.
- In a pan, add ghee and all the seeds.
- let them splutter and add the spices and 2 tbsp water *to avoid burning of spices.) Add ginger and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add the besan and mix well. Keep stirring till the besan is light brown and a soft aroma of besan starts to come. Now add the coarsely ground moon dal and keep mixing.
- Keep stirring on low flame to avoid sticking at the bottom. You may add a little water to bind this masala, but then cook till it comes together and the water is almost evaporated.
- shut the flame and let this cool down completely.
- Make small balls of equal size and place them on the flour balls and then press them inside. And start coving the edges inside covering the masala filling completely. Now press this stuffed ball with your hands. Press it properly to ensure it rises like a ball when baked.
- Grease a pan with ghee and place all the kachoris on it. Bake these for 45-50 minutes at 200 degrees. After 20-25 minutes, turn them over for even cooking on both sides.
- Serve hot with tamarind chutney and green coriander chutney.
- You can also serve these kachoris with chana masala or matar or aloo ki sabzi. RECIPE LINK for Aloo/ Potato gravy given above n the post.
- Make these and enjoy. Don't forget to leave us a comment if you liked the recipe.
Leave a Reply