Kala Chana | Black chana gravy | Black chickpea recipe. A step-by-step recipe with pictures. A detailed recipe with pictures of how to make the tastiest Black chickpea curry in a pressure cooker. Kala Chana is an Indian variety of chickpeas made in curry and dry form. Learn how to make Kala chana | Black chickpea curry prepared in tomato-onion base mixed with selective Indian spices to make it taste best.
How to make Kala Chana Curry / Black chickpea curry?
- Soak Chana/chickpeas overnight or for 9-10 hours. (do it on the previous day night)
- Keep the Chanas to boil in a Pressure cooker/pan covered with a lid. The water levels will be: In a pressure cooker double the water. And in a pan add 3 times the water and keep checking the levels in between.
- Simultaneously, prepare the tempering/Tadka for the Kala chana made with tomato +onion +spices. The proportion of these is critical in getting the perfect taste and texture.
Follow the recipe down with step-by-step pictures to get the perfect texture.
Other Popular Curry recipes on the blog :
- Pindi Chole recipe | Pindi Chana Masala
- Rajma Masala | Rajma Masala -restaurant style
- Soybean Curry |Soya Aloo Matar | Nutrela Chunks
- Jackfruit Curry | Kathal Curry | Kathal Ki Sabzi
- Aloo Wadiyan- A Punjabi delicacy
- Butter Chicken
- Punjabi Chicken Curry
- Punjabi Lobia Recipe / Black-eyed peas
- Malai Kofta
- Matar Paneer | Cottage cheese and peas gravy
Raita/ Curd recipes to go with Curry dishes:
- Aloo Raita
- Boondi Raita recipe
- Cucumber Raita
- Kachumber Raita with tempering.
- Homemade Curd | Dahi-How to make thick, creamy, and rich curd at home.
Popular Salad Recipes to go with any Indian Lunch or Dinner Menu:
- Papaya- Beetroot- Corn Salad recipe
- Raw Papaya Salad
- Mango Salad
- Indian Vegetarian Boondi Salad
- Chickpeas fruit & nut salad
|4-5 people||10 min|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|30 min||10 hours|
Learn how to make Kala chana | Black chickpea curry prepared in tomato-onion base mixed with selective Indian spices to make it taste best.
- 400 gms Kala chana / Black chickpeas
- 3 cup water 600 ml
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 4 long/cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick /dalchini
- 2 Black Cardomom
- 2-3 green cardomom
- 1 big onion paste/grated
- 5 small Tomatoes pureed
- 4 Garlic cloves
- Soak the Kala chana the night before.
- Cooking: In a pressure cooker add soaked kala chana, 3 cups water, all whole spices, salt, and Haldi/turmeric, and close the lid. Cook on high flame till 1 whistle and then simmer and cook further till 3 more whistles. Close the flame and wait for the steam to release.
- While the Kala chana is cooking you can begin to make the tempering. When the steam release the chana will look something like this. -> Keep them aside till tempering is ready.
- Heat oil/ Desi ghee. Grind onions to paste.
- Add onions and cook till golden brown. Add a little water to mix the onions and add all spices as well. Mix and cook till oil separates.
- Add pureed tomatoes. Cover and cook till done and oil separates again. The masala should become semi-dry.
- Add the boiled chana and cook on simmer, covered for 5-6 minutes or till the chana/chickpea are nicely mixed with the gravy. Add water for consistency in case needed.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves, with salad, Kachumber Raita, and Rice/ Tandoori roti.
Served best with Masala Rice and Kachumber Raita. Recipe on the Blog.
Leave a Reply