Ghiya | Lauki ki Sabzi recipe |Bottle-gourd in tomato gravy is an easy, basic, healthy, and the best seasonal vegetable recipe. As per Ayurveda, Lauki/ Bottle-gourd is very good for digestion. It recommends having bottle gourd during summer/monsoon season or change of season.
Ghiya /Lauki / Bottle-gourd- The magical Vegetable
Ayurveda suggests eating bottle-gourd as it has many benefits.
10 Most common Benefits of Ghiya / Lauki / Bottle-gourd:
- Improves Digestion.
- Reduces bile and stops indigestion.
- Is cooling and calming.
- Reduces the chances of a Urinary Tract Infection.
- Keeps your heart healthy.
- Is a big Stress buster.
- Is very high in sodium and potassium, hence replenishes your body and helps to beat the heat.
- Good to manage acidity.
- Controls premature aging, as it is rich in Vit C and zinc.
- Helps in weight loss.
After reading all these benefits, am sure no one can not cook this magical vegetable. There are many other benefits, which I have not written about. You may Goole for more.
Why make Lauki / Bottle-gourd with this Recipe:
This is easy to make, quick to serve recipe. Its simple preparation ensures the nutrients being intact in the vegetable. Also, the simple flavors of the vegetable are enhanced with tomato and lemon curry. With keeping the gravy basic and simple, the benefits of the vegetable are kept intact.
How to make this Bottle-gourd :
This recipe has three main ingredients. Bottle-gourd/ Lauki, Chopped tomatoes, Lemon juice. Simple spices to add to the flavor. To get the best flavor of this vegetable, cook Lauki in Desi Ghee/Clarified Butter. But just in case you want a Vegan Recipe, you may use a flavorless oil.
Some Other Vegan recipes you may like:
Some other Lunch Recipes:
- Matar Paneer.
- Kachnar Phool/ Bauhinia Flower.
- Aloo Bhein Sabzi/ Lotus stem and potato curry.
- Kundru Masala/Pan-roasted ivy gourd.
- Chana Dal khichdi
- Dal Palak
- Rajma Masala
- Butter Chicken.
- Langarwali Dal
- Makhani Dal
- Kadhai Paneer.
- Paneer Biryani.
- Chicken Biryani.
- Punjabi Chicken curry.
Some Indian Bread recipes you may like:
- Soya Parantha.
- Doli Ki Roti.
- Whole wheat Pita Bread.
- Sheermal/ Milk Bread.
- Kadi Pakora Parantha/ Indian curry flatbread.
- Wholewheat Broccoli Parantha.
- Amritsari Kulcha.
- 500 gms Lauki/ Bottle-gourd Chopped/ Cubed
- 2-3 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice or juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder /degi mirch or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala five spice powder optional
- 1 tbsp Desi Ghee/ Clarified Butter or oil of your preference if you prefer vegan
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed jeera
- 1/4+1 cup water for gravy/ consistency
- In a pressure cooker, heat 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add cumin seeds. Let them splutter and then add all the spices ( except garam masala) mixed in 1/4 cup water. We add water to avoid burning of the spices. Cook on low flame till it leaves oil.
- Now, add the chopped tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes again until they are well blended and leave oil/ oil is separated.
- Now, add the chopped Ghiya/ Lauki/ Bottle gourd. Mix well.
- Close the id of the pressure cooker and cook till one whistle on high flame.
- After one whistle, simmer the flame and cook till the second whistle.
- Shut the flame and let it rest till the pressure is released.
- Open the lid, crush the lauki pieces a bit to mash and blend it. If there is less water then you may add water and bring it to one boil for the right consistency. If you think you have put a little extra water, then you may boil the veggie till it comes to the right consistency.
- Once you get the right consistency, shut the flame, and add the Lemon juice and garam masala (optional).
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or Chapati.
1. You may use Oil instead of Desi ghee/ clarified butter in case you are vegan.
2. I have made this recipe in pressure cooker, so the time taken in less. In case you you make it in a pan with lid, please keep a watch to avoid burning, and add water as needed. If you need to add water, please check for salt.
Bernice Hill says
What a very unique dish…so very healthful and it also looks tasty. I’ve always wondered how to cook bottle gourd.
Homemade and delicious and healthy too. I love such comforting meal any day.
HEATHER PERINE says
Been wanting to eat more plant based and branch out from my typical veggies I always buy this week. Can’t wait to give this one a try! 🙂
Amy Liu Dong says
This looks like a delicious and flavorful dish to make for my mom today and aside from that it’s also a healthy dish.
This looks delicious and i love how many health benefits this dish has, which I never knew about.
Thanks for sharing, will try out soon:)
This dish looks super healthy and amazing! It looks so warm and flavoursome, perfect for a cold winter day. I would defnitely make this for my family, because they love soups and i love making them! Thank you for shairing this recipe.
Recipes & You says
Uma Srinivas says
simple flavors of the vegetable are enhanced with tomato and lemon curry sounds so yummy! We always like bottlegourd curry with rice!
Laura Arteaga says
First time I hear about this vegetable, but it looks like I’ve been missing something really good! All those health benefits are difficult to find in just one ingredient. Thank you for sharing such an easy and yummy recipe, We will definitely try it !
Love how you wrote out all the benefits of this dish. Sounds amazing!